Because many people visit and enjoy the Montour Preserve throughout the year, we ask your help in keeping the Preserve a safe and beautiful natural recreation area. For your safety and the protection of the natural resources, we ask that you adhere to the following rules while at the Preserve:
- Preserve hours are dawn to dark
- Leave all pets at home; dogs (except service dogs) are not allowed
- Trails are open to pedestrians only; bicycles, motorized vehicles, horses, and pets are not allowed
- Vehicles must be parked on paved surfaces in designated spots
- Do not swim in the lake, ponds or streams
- Alcoholic beverages, narcotics and firearms are prohibited
- Boating in Lake Chillisquaque is prohibited from March 15 – April 30
- Boating in the Goose Cove refuge area is prohibited year-round
- Gasoline engines may not be used on the lake; electric motors are allowed
- Visitors must obtain a permit from MARC before entering the wildlife refuge and observation blinds
- Fishing is allowed in Lake Chillisquaque, but not in preserve ponds or streams
- Do not move picnic tables
- Hunting and trapping are not allowed in the preserve
- Collecting of plants, animals and other natural resources is not allowed except in the Fossil Pit
- Open fires are not allowed except in charcoal grills or gas grills
- Radios and other sources of noise must be kept at a level that will not disturb other preserve visitors
- Camping is not allowed in the preserve
- Unmanned Aerial Systems (drones) may be operated at the Montour Preserve, subject to the terms, conditions, and restrictions available here
These rules are enforced by the PA Game Commission, PA Fish & Boat Commission, PA State Police, and the Montour Area Recreation Commission to provide a safe and enjoyable visit for all. To contact these agencies, please use the following telephone numbers:
- PA Game Commission – Northeast Regional Office – (570) 675-1143
- PA Fish & Boat Commission – Northcentral Regional Office – (814) 359-5250
- PA State Police – Troop F – 911
- Montour Area Recreation Commission – (570) 336-2060
Thank you for enjoying the Preserve in a responsible manner.
NOTICE – TEMPORARY TRAIL AND PAVILION CLOSURES (EFFECTIVE AUGUST 17, 2022)
Temporary closures of portions of several trails and one pavilion at the Montour Preserve have been posted as of August 17, 2022.
These temporary closures are being made to protect visitor safety while Talen Energy and its subsidiaries continue the construction of a new natural gas pipeline to supply the Montour Steam Electric Station. Closures are expected to last several weeks and will be lifted when conditions are safe to again allow use.
These closures will affect the following locations:
• Goose Woods Trail (partial)
• Wildlife Management Trail (partial)
• Chilisuagi Trail (between the Goose Cove Picnic Area and the Ridgefield Point Loop Trail)
• Goose Cove #2 Pavilion
MARC asks that visitors respect trail closures where posted to protect the safety of the public, MARC’s staff, and construction staff.
To download a .pdf version of the Montour Preserve brochure, please click on the image below.